Guidebook for Firenze

Lorenzo

Guidebook for Firenze

Food Scene
I Fiesolani is located on the green hills of Fiesole with a panoramic view over Florence. Fiesole is situated on a hill only 7 km to the historic centre of Florence. Travel to the centre is very easy with an excellent connection.
Via Antonio Gramsci, 12
12 Via Antonio Gramsci
I Fiesolani is located on the green hills of Fiesole with a panoramic view over Florence. Fiesole is situated on a hill only 7 km to the historic centre of Florence. Travel to the centre is very easy with an excellent connection.
The Restaurant "La Reggia degli Etruschi" is located in Fiesole (Tuscany) very close to Florence in a relaxing and panoramic place. This typical and exclusive restaurant offers its guests the best traditional "Cucina Toscana" (Tuscan "cuisine"). The restaurant is also an "enoteca" (a winery) where you can taste Tuscan wines recognized worldwide such as Solaia, Brunello di Montalcino, the fabulous "Super Tuscans", and many others that could accompany your traditional tuscan dinner in Fiesole, while immersed in the magic of the Florentine hills...
Via S. Francesco, 18
18 Via S. Francesco
The Restaurant "La Reggia degli Etruschi" is located in Fiesole (Tuscany) very close to Florence in a relaxing and panoramic place. This typical and exclusive restaurant offers its guests the best traditional "Cucina Toscana" (Tuscan "cuisine"). The restaurant is also an "enoteca" (a winery) where you can taste Tuscan wines recognized worldwide such as Solaia, Brunello di Montalcino, the fabulous "Super Tuscans", and many others that could accompany your traditional tuscan dinner in Fiesole, while immersed in the magic of the Florentine hills...
Vini Vip is located on the green hills of Fiesole with a panoramic view over Florence. Fiesole is situated on a hill only 7 km to the historic centre of Florence. Travel to the centre is very easy with an excellent connection. Finally, even wine-lovers from Fiesole have their own meeting-place. In fact, right in the center of the city has recently opened a small but cool wineshop named "ENOTECA VINI VIP", runed by Agnese Pellucci, a young and brilliant wine expert since she's a sommelier of the Associazione Italiana Sommelier (AIS), Public Relation Manager for several wineries in the Chianti Classico area and in Montalcino, as well as wine meeting organizer. "ENOTECA VINI VIP" has a modern style and the white shelves pair well with plexiglas furniture and lights. The customers will have the possibility of finding "rare pearls" of the Tuscan Viticultural reality and wide choice of Italian wines from the North to the South, from Piemonte to Sardinia. But the "ENOTECA VINI VIP" button-hole flower is probably the large assortment of foreign wines, especially from the so-called "New World": Argentina, Australia, Chili, Portugal, France, South Africa, Switzerland, Germany, Uruguay and Canada. Large assortment of sweet wines, sparkling wines, and extravirgin olive oil from the hills of Fiesole, Montalcino and Monte Morello. Last but not least grappa, honey and wine guides.
Piazza Mino da Fiesole, 33
33 Piazza Mino da Fiesole
Vini Vip is located on the green hills of Fiesole with a panoramic view over Florence. Fiesole is situated on a hill only 7 km to the historic centre of Florence. Travel to the centre is very easy with an excellent connection. Finally, even wine-lovers from Fiesole have their own meeting-place. In fact, right in the center of the city has recently opened a small but cool wineshop named "ENOTECA VINI VIP", runed by Agnese Pellucci, a young and brilliant wine expert since she's a sommelier of the Associazione Italiana Sommelier (AIS), Public Relation Manager for several wineries in the Chianti Classico area and in Montalcino, as well as wine meeting organizer. "ENOTECA VINI VIP" has a modern style and the white shelves pair well with plexiglas furniture and lights. The customers will have the possibility of finding "rare pearls" of the Tuscan Viticultural reality and wide choice of Italian wines from the North to the South, from Piemonte to Sardinia. But the "ENOTECA VINI VIP" button-hole flower is probably the large assortment of foreign wines, especially from the so-called "New World": Argentina, Australia, Chili, Portugal, France, South Africa, Switzerland, Germany, Uruguay and Canada. Large assortment of sweet wines, sparkling wines, and extravirgin olive oil from the hills of Fiesole, Montalcino and Monte Morello. Last but not least grappa, honey and wine guides.
Sightseeing
Civic Archaeological Museum Founded in 1873 there are on exhibition here pieces of archaeological interest found in and around the territory. The exhibits cover a wide chronological band with examples from the Etruscan and Roman eras, through to the Longobard dominion and the medieval period. The area's archaeological monuments are also documented here: the Etruscan-Roman Temple, the Roman Theatre end the Spa complex. A visit to the annexed Archaeological Museum and to the ancient site is indispensable for a complete panoramic view of Fiesole's ancient history. Opening hours: 9.30 am to 7 pm daily (summer). 9.30 am to 5 pm daily (winter). Closed on Tuesdays (only in winter)
Via Portigiani, 10
10 Via Portigiani
Civic Archaeological Museum Founded in 1873 there are on exhibition here pieces of archaeological interest found in and around the territory. The exhibits cover a wide chronological band with examples from the Etruscan and Roman eras, through to the Longobard dominion and the medieval period. The area's archaeological monuments are also documented here: the Etruscan-Roman Temple, the Roman Theatre end the Spa complex. A visit to the annexed Archaeological Museum and to the ancient site is indispensable for a complete panoramic view of Fiesole's ancient history. Opening hours: 9.30 am to 7 pm daily (summer). 9.30 am to 5 pm daily (winter). Closed on Tuesdays (only in winter)
Badia Fiesolana The "Badia Fiesolana" was constructed in around the year 1000. The Romanesque facade, with its geometric design in green and white Prato marble, is very similar to the Baptistery and San Miniato al Monte in Florence. Cosimo de' Medici commissioned Michelozzo and his assistants with the reconstruction of the interior from 1462 onwards. Note the many examples of fine Renaissance masonry and carvings in pietra serena by Francesco di Simone Ferrucci and Piero di Cecco in the interior. Opening hours: Monday - Friday 9 a. m. to 5.30 p. m. Saturdays 9-12.30 a. m. Sundays and Holidays closed
Via della Badia dei Roccettini, 9
9 Via della Badia dei Roccettini
Badia Fiesolana The "Badia Fiesolana" was constructed in around the year 1000. The Romanesque facade, with its geometric design in green and white Prato marble, is very similar to the Baptistery and San Miniato al Monte in Florence. Cosimo de' Medici commissioned Michelozzo and his assistants with the reconstruction of the interior from 1462 onwards. Note the many examples of fine Renaissance masonry and carvings in pietra serena by Francesco di Simone Ferrucci and Piero di Cecco in the interior. Opening hours: Monday - Friday 9 a. m. to 5.30 p. m. Saturdays 9-12.30 a. m. Sundays and Holidays closed
The Chapel of San Jacopo It was originally the oratory of the Bishop's Palace and thus dates from the first half of the 11th century but renovated and modified various times over the centuries the chapel contains the great wall fresco of" The Coronation of the Virgin with Angels and Saints" by Bicci di Lorenzo (circa 1441) and a rich collection of precious liturgical objects dating from late Gothic times to the Renaissance, and the Baroque and neo-classical periods. Opening hours: open only on Saturdays, holidays and Sundays 10 a.m-7 p.m. (summer). 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (winter).
Via S. Francesco, 4
4 Via S. Francesco
The Chapel of San Jacopo It was originally the oratory of the Bishop's Palace and thus dates from the first half of the 11th century but renovated and modified various times over the centuries the chapel contains the great wall fresco of" The Coronation of the Virgin with Angels and Saints" by Bicci di Lorenzo (circa 1441) and a rich collection of precious liturgical objects dating from late Gothic times to the Renaissance, and the Baroque and neo-classical periods. Opening hours: open only on Saturdays, holidays and Sundays 10 a.m-7 p.m. (summer). 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (winter).
Cathedral of San Romolo The Cathedral, designed on a basilican plan, was built by Bishop Jacopo il Bavaro in 1028, and enlarged in the 13th century. The restoration work carried out in 1878-82 left the internal and external walls as we see them today and was responsible for the neo-Gothic style of the facade. Archaeological excavations in the crypt in 1990 discovered evidence of continuous habitation here from the Hellenistic period through to the 14th century. The ponderous Romanesque fabric of the interior, which recalls the Church of San Miniato al Monte in Florence, has fortunately managed to survive the many the alterations carried out over the centuries. Opening hours: every day 7.30-12 a.m. 3-6 p.m. (summer). 7.30-12 a.m. 13-5 p.m. (winter).
Piazza della Cattedrale, 1
1 Piazza della Cattedrale
Cathedral of San Romolo The Cathedral, designed on a basilican plan, was built by Bishop Jacopo il Bavaro in 1028, and enlarged in the 13th century. The restoration work carried out in 1878-82 left the internal and external walls as we see them today and was responsible for the neo-Gothic style of the facade. Archaeological excavations in the crypt in 1990 discovered evidence of continuous habitation here from the Hellenistic period through to the 14th century. The ponderous Romanesque fabric of the interior, which recalls the Church of San Miniato al Monte in Florence, has fortunately managed to survive the many the alterations carried out over the centuries. Opening hours: every day 7.30-12 a.m. 3-6 p.m. (summer). 7.30-12 a.m. 13-5 p.m. (winter).
Etruscan and Roman Walls In the second half of the 4th century B.C. the town was surrounded by fortification walls of about 2,500 m. in perimeter, composed of huge and imposing blocks. The sections that are still visible can be found at the Church of San Francesco, inside the Missionary Museum, in the public park (the Fortress), in "Via delle Mura etrusche" (North wall, the longest section standing today), Via A. Mari at Borgunto (East side), Via Frà Beato Angelico (small part of the South side), Via Vecchia Fiesolana Villa San Girolamo (on the South, a small section but with enormous, cyclopean masonry). Outdoor monument.
Via delle Mura Etrusche
Etruscan and Roman Walls In the second half of the 4th century B.C. the town was surrounded by fortification walls of about 2,500 m. in perimeter, composed of huge and imposing blocks. The sections that are still visible can be found at the Church of San Francesco, inside the Missionary Museum, in the public park (the Fortress), in "Via delle Mura etrusche" (North wall, the longest section standing today), Via A. Mari at Borgunto (East side), Via Frà Beato Angelico (small part of the South side), Via Vecchia Fiesolana Villa San Girolamo (on the South, a small section but with enormous, cyclopean masonry). Outdoor monument.
Palazzo Pretorio Today the seat of the Fiesole Town Council, the palace was built in the 14th century and then altered in 1463. The portico with Ionic columns dates from the latter period. When restoration was carried out about forty years ago, it was a fairly simple matter to replace some of these Ionic columns with new ones of the same type. The stone and glazed terracotta coats of arms of the many "podestas" who ruled here from 1520 onwards adorn the façade, loggia, and interior of the building. No visits allowed.
Piazza Mino da Fiesole, 26
26 Piazza Mino da Fiesole
Palazzo Pretorio Today the seat of the Fiesole Town Council, the palace was built in the 14th century and then altered in 1463. The portico with Ionic columns dates from the latter period. When restoration was carried out about forty years ago, it was a fairly simple matter to replace some of these Ionic columns with new ones of the same type. The stone and glazed terracotta coats of arms of the many "podestas" who ruled here from 1520 onwards adorn the façade, loggia, and interior of the building. No visits allowed.
The Etruscan tombs Two tombs survive from a more extensive necropolis dating from the Hellenistic period. They lie immediately outside the ring of walls (visible on the route from Borgunto in the direction of Via Mari).
Via del Bargellino
The Etruscan tombs Two tombs survive from a more extensive necropolis dating from the Hellenistic period. They lie immediately outside the ring of walls (visible on the route from Borgunto in the direction of Via Mari).
La Fonte Sotterra According to local tradition the fountain dates back to Etruscan times and had some sort of religious function, though the one we see today is probably medieval in construction. This artificial subterranean fountain and spring lies within a large cavity that was carved out of a mass of rock in order to capture the veins of water so as to enable them to flow into an accessible place for use.
Via dei Medici
La Fonte Sotterra According to local tradition the fountain dates back to Etruscan times and had some sort of religious function, though the one we see today is probably medieval in construction. This artificial subterranean fountain and spring lies within a large cavity that was carved out of a mass of rock in order to capture the veins of water so as to enable them to flow into an accessible place for use.
Arts & Culture
Museo Bandini The collection includes 13th to 15th century Florentine paintings and Della Robbia terracotta. Of particular note are the paintings by Bernardo Daddi, Taddeo Gaddi, Nardo di Cione, Lorenzo Monaco, Cosimo Rosselli,Jacopo del Sellaio and the school of Botticelli. Most of these art works were assembled by Angelo Maria Bandini (1726-1803), philologist, antiquarian and formerly librarian of the Laurentian Library in Florence. Entrance: All- inclusive ticket with the Civic Archaeological Museum.
Via Giovanni Duprè, 10
10 Via Giovanni Duprè
Museo Bandini The collection includes 13th to 15th century Florentine paintings and Della Robbia terracotta. Of particular note are the paintings by Bernardo Daddi, Taddeo Gaddi, Nardo di Cione, Lorenzo Monaco, Cosimo Rosselli,Jacopo del Sellaio and the school of Botticelli. Most of these art works were assembled by Angelo Maria Bandini (1726-1803), philologist, antiquarian and formerly librarian of the Laurentian Library in Florence. Entrance: All- inclusive ticket with the Civic Archaeological Museum.
Ethnographic Museum of the Franciscan Missionaries AThe museum (access is from inside the church) was formed by the monks who returned from missions to the Orient early in last century. It contains objects of the material an artistic culture of China and Egypt and local archaeological remains. Opening hours: Tuesday-Friday 10-12 a.m. /3-5 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays 3-5 p. m.
Via S. Francesco, 13
13 Via S. Francesco
Ethnographic Museum of the Franciscan Missionaries AThe museum (access is from inside the church) was formed by the monks who returned from missions to the Orient early in last century. It contains objects of the material an artistic culture of China and Egypt and local archaeological remains. Opening hours: Tuesday-Friday 10-12 a.m. /3-5 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays 3-5 p. m.