Villa Pavela, environmentally conscious, open-air concept family vacation home. 4 minute easy walk down public road to Playa Remanso. 15 minute drive (6 km, 4 miles) to SJDS. Surrounded by tropical garden, ocean view over tropical landscape and sweeping mountain views. Staffed, secure, self-catering with full service option.
Villa Pavela is a beautiful, open-air concept, beach vacation property, with sweeping views of tropical landscapes and tree hugged view towards the ocean.
Located on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua, just north of Costa Rica, Villa Pavela is a 10 minute drive down South from San Juan del Sur, a small fishing town and popular tourist destination.
Playa Remanso is only a 4 minute easy walk from the house. It sits in a breathtaking bay, flanked by dramatic cliffs, and is considered to be one of the most beautiful beaches in Nicaragua,.
Traditionally, yet comfortably furnished, Villa Pavela is very much a warm and welcoming home – offering our guests an authentic Nicaraguan, relaxed tropical vacation setting.
The open-air concept allows our guests to fully engage with the surrounding tropical environment. The front covered terrace is a cool, shaded oasis where one can relax in a traditional Nicaraguan rocking chair or hammock and enjoy the sweeping views of the jungle covered mountains and tree hugged views of the Pacific ocean. The screened windows of the hallway catch the cool breeze and invite evening rays sun, painting the interior with a beautiful pattern of light and shadow.
The master bedroom includes a king size bed, cozy 3 piece en-suite bathroom, open wardrobe with plenty storage space and clothes hangers, night tables with lamps and a bureau. The back patio, accessible from the master bedroom and garden, overlooks the cordilleras and valley. It features a breakfast table for two and lots of space for morning yoga.
The second bedroom includes a shower/hand sink/change room, flat screen TV, small book collection, open wardrobe with plenty storage space and clothes hangers, has a double-size bed and a 3-person bunk bed, double size bed on the bottom, single bed on the top. All beds are equipped with insect nets.
The house comfortably accommodates a party of 5 guests.
Up to 7 guests are possible with sharing of double beds.
The house design takes full advantage of natural ventilation. In addition, the bedrooms are equipped with ceiling fans. Optional, on request paid AC is available in both bedrooms. The fee is US$5/night/bedroom.
Payment MUST BE IN CASH and UP FRONT in exchange for the remote controls. Please have money ready.
A separate powder room is accessible from the hallway.
The traditional, fully-equipped kitchen, designed for a unique tropical cooking experience, overlooks the outdoor covered living space, which will most likely become your holiday headquarters during your stay at Villa Pavela.
Here are just a few things you could be doing during your stay at Villa Pavela:
• cooking your own fine organic meals with fresh local ingredients or simply relaxing and paying Eliza to cook for you
• learning Spanish through immersion
• dancing on the terrace
• enjoying music or the the natural sounds of the tropics
• bird watching
• reading a book form our ever expanding and changing collection
• sunbathing, swimming, surfing and snorkeling
• fishing off the beach
• building sand castles
• or just chilling out in a hammock...
There are many attractions nearby. They include:
• climbing a volcano on the island of Ometepe under the eye of an experienced guide
• exploring the nearby town of San Juan del Sur and its wide variety of restaurants, shops and services such as spas or Yoga studios.
House staff: Villa Pavela is permanently staffed. Eliza and Levys, our cuidadores live in separate quarters on the property. They are our "gate keepers". Daily house cleaning, except on weekends and holidays, is included in the rental. Elisa is a fine cook and for a fee of US$15.00 a day (pay Eliza directly) could prepare all of your meals. Food is not included and the purchase of groceries is our guests responsibility.
Water: the house has a private well and the domestic water supply is managed through a 2-stage water purification system with both sedimentary and ultraviolet light (UV) filters. However, as in any tropical setting purified bottled water should be used for drinking purposes. Rainwater, used for watering the garden, is harvested and stored in a 28,000 litre (7,400 US gallon) cistern. All bathrooms and the kitchen are serviced by on-demand water heaters. The house is on a 3-chamber septic system.
Kitchen: The fully-equipped kitchen features a large eating/working counter, 4-burner counter-mounted gas cook top, convection oven, toaster, refrigerator with freezer, coffee maker, coffee mill, electric tea kettle, blender, stick blender, rice cooker, food processor, and most importantly the juice squeezer and juicer. All types of dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and a basic selection of spices are provided for your cooking enjoyment.
Bedrooms: the house sleeps 5 guests comfortably and up to 7 guests if you don't mind sharing the two double beds. The master bedroom is equipped with a king size bed, night tables and lamps, a bureau and a 3 piece en-suite bathroom. The guest bedroom has a flat screen TV, double-size bed and a 3-person bunk bed (bottom-double, top-single). Both bedrooms are equipped with AC (US$5/bedroom/night, cash payment in US funds only to Eliza in exchange for remote controls). Towels and bed linens are provided and changed once a week. More frequent changes are subject to additional fees. Beach towels are also provided and subject to a US$20 lost beach towel fee. All beds have mosquito nets and all windows are fitted with bug screens.
Entertainment: high speed internet, Satellite TV, large selection of movies on home media server are available. A DVD and CD player are also provided. We also have a small library, board games and puzzles.
Outdoor features: The covered front terrace with ocean/mountain view is furnished with with two hammocks, coffee table, 4 rocking chairs, dining table with 4 chairs and additional collapsible stools, six bar stools at kitchen island. The master bedroom patio has a coffee table for two and offers views towards the surrounding jungle covered hills. There is also an outdoor shower to wash off sand following a busy day at the beach. Our house is surrounded on all three sides by the tropical garden. We have a large collection of beautiful tropical plants and fruit trees. There are 4 traditional outdoor lounge chairs.
Emergency power: Villa Pavela is now equipped with an auxiliary electrical system. Our new AirX wind turbine generates electricity which is stored in deep charging batteries. The house has a 110 Volt, 60 Hertz electrical service. To conserve energy all light fixtures use energy-saving light bulbs. Exterior security lighting is controlled by photocells.
Internet: connect with the world anytime, anywhere in and around Villa Pavela. Our service is a high-speed 2.5 MGb connection.
Other amenities: The house and the property are maintained for your safety and comfort by a full-time guard and maid. Our staff live on the property in their separate house. Parking space is provided on site and is limited to two vehicles.
Kid-friendly: The property being located just 4 minutes from the beach, provides for endless beach fun, including swimming, snorkeling, body surfing, surfing and building sand castles. For little ones we have a pee-pod portable baby bed and a table top clip-on high chair.
Pet-friendly: four-legged friends are welcome but sadly may not share beds with their owners. Our chained guard dog can be friendly but you should consider restraining your pet, just to be safe. There is also a cat on our property.
Smoking inside the house is prohibited. Smoking is permitted on the terrace. Please dispose of cigarette butts in the provided receptacle.
On arrival, guests will be greeted by our staff. Eliza will show the house and grounds and hand over the house keys. She will explain how to secure the house. The Internet password is posted in each bedroom. AC is optional. The cost is US$5/night/bedroom. Payment is cash, US funds only and must be made in full for all nights in order to obtain remote control. As long as you have the remote it is assumed you are using AC. Please return remote controls promptly if no longer required to get the unused portion of your payment back.
We provide a welcome start up kit which includes; a 5 gallon bottle of mineral water, small soaps and shampoo, toilet paper in each bathroom, kitchen paper towels, garbage bags in each bin and dish washing detergent. Once used up it is up to our guests to purchase necessary household items.
Included in rental:
Daily house cleaning (except on weekends and holidays)
Floor mopping, every second day
High speed Internet connection (2.5 Mbps)
Hot water, on demand heaters
5 gallon bottle of mineral water
Bed and bath linens,
Fully equipped kitchen with basic spices
Additional optional paid services:
Laundry - US$4 per load
Cooking - US$15/day
Shopping - US$20/errand
Air conditioning - US$5/day/bedroom
Manual car wash - US$2
Add 20% surcharge for services rendered on weekends and holidays)
Optional house cleaning on weekends and holidays is US$10/day
We employ staff to ensure our guests safety and comfort and to maintain a high standard of our accommodation. Levys waters the garden very early in the morning. The garden surrounds the house on all three sides. If you desire privacy or just wish to sleep in, please let him know so that he adjusts his maintenance schedule. Same goes for Eliza who provides daily cleaning.
General rental conditions:
• Maximum occupancy at Villa Pavela is 5 guests.
An additional 2 guests may be accommodated if OK with sharing double beds. The rental nightly rate is set for 2 person occupancy.
An additional fee of US$15 will apply to each extra guest over 2, to a maximum occupancy of 7 guests.
• Optional Air Conditioning - US$5/day/bedroom.
We require a cash payment, up front (US funds only) in exchange for the remote controls. Please pay Eliza to get remote controls. When AC no longer required, return remotes by 10am to avoid being charged for the next night.
• Minimum renters age, unless accompanied by older guests - 24 years old.
• No smoking of any kind is allowed inside the house. Smoking is permitted outdoors as long as cigarette butts are disposed of in suitable receptacle. Throwing cigarette buts into the garden is prohibited, as this action may cause a fire.
Please note the use of any kind of recreational drugs on our property is strictly prohibited. In Nicaragua, this constitutes a serious criminal offense. Non compliance will result in immediate eviction and retention of damage deposit.
• Pets allowed but sharing of beds strictly prohibited. Pets must be restrained as we have a chained guard dog who may not appreciate encounters with unknown animals.
• We offer a basic, complimentary house set up at Villa Pavela, which includes: a roll of toilet paper in each bathroom, hotel size soap and shampoo, 1 roll of kitchen paper towels, some dish washing soap and garbage bags, two per can. Once these supplies are used up, it is your responsibility to purchase more, as required. Our housekeeper will not re-supply.
Potable water is provided in the kitchen at our water filtration system.
• The area around San Juan del Sur is very arid. Please use water wisely when washing and flushing toilets.
• Electricity in San Juan del Sur is very expensive. Please conserve energy by turning lights off when not required. If using AC, you must turn it off when not occupying the bedrooms. The AC fee we charge barely covers the cost but only if the use is limited to night time. Our housekeeper checks the units from the exterior of the house when guests leave the house and takes note. A US$20/day/bedroom fee will be withheld from your damage deposit for breaking this house rule.
• Our house has a quiet emergency back up system. The power back up activation button is located in the kitchen. The system capacity is intended to power only the essentials, such as the fridge, ceiling fans and basic lights. Water pressure will be low. The emergency back up system is not designed to keep AC and small kitchen appliances, such as the microwave on during an outage.
• If requesting cooking services, please be advised that Eliza will not enter the house to cook if the main door is closed and/or if you are away from the house. For example, If requesting lunch for 1pm, you would have to be back an hour earlier to give her access and to allow for her to have adequate time to prepare your meal.
She will enter the kitchen during your absence to cook, but only if given permission to do so ahead of time. If you wish you may lock your bedroom doors. Eliza has worked for us for 7 years, is trustworthy and we treat her like family. It is entirely up to you, but please be clear on your expectations.
• If requesting shopping services, you will need to provide cash. Be advised that shopping may take up to a couple of hours, depending on the complexity of the grocery list. Some items are seasonal and may not be available. Some items may simply not be in stock on a specific day. It depends. The fish market opens very early in the morning, so advise Eliza the night before, that you would like fish. The approximate cost of 1 pound of fish filet is US$8-12. Whole fish are cheaper but require more work to prepare.
• We request you not remove bath towels or bed sheets from Villa Pavela to take to the beach. Only use the colourful beach towels provided for this purpose to each guest on arrival. Please return towels to Eliza on departure. The fine for a lost towel is US$20.
• Payments for optional services provided during your stay by our staff, such as cooking, laundry, shopping, baby sitting must be paid in cash in US$ only, on an as you go basis. Waiting until the last day and then rushing only to discover you do not have enough cash, is NOT OK.
Tipping staff in Nicaragua is customary and expected.
Tip amount is typically between US$5-20 and depends on your generosity.
Many thanks, in advance.
All information is provided up front but should you have any additional questions, please ask. Villa Pavela is permanently staffed. Our staff Eliza and Levys live in their own little house on the property. They are always very helpful and respectful of our guests privacy. There are no immediate neighbors adjacent to our property contributing to privacy, peace and quiet.
We are from Ottawa, Canada. We are both architects and we designed and built Villa Pavela as our tropical get away from the long canadian winters.
We love traveling to Central America, Europe and other destinations where people are resourceful and have a flair for the unusual.
The best travels are those that have no itinerary. Our life has no itinerary either and never stops surprising us...