Airy and elegant, fabulous location
The spacious and beautiful apartment is on the second floor of an elegant 1890's two-family home with high ceilings and big windows. There are three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The neighborhood offers something interesting for everyone to do and you won’t need a car, but one parking space is included, and more may be negotiable.
Airy and elegant, fabulous location
The spacious and beautiful apartment is on the second floor of an elegant 1890's two-family home with high ceilings and big windows. There are three bedrooms and two bathrooms as well as an open kitchen/dining/living area. The neighborhood offers something interesting for everyone to do and you won’t need a car, but one parking space is included, and more are negotiable.
We’re a mere one and a half blocks from the Davis Square T stop (Red Line Subway) and a half-block from Massachusetts Ave, so you can be in Arlington, Boston, Cambridge or Medford by public transit in minutes. Harvard and Tufts and Lesley are just a fifteen minute walk away. You can be at MIT in about twenty minutes. There’s also easy access to Route 2 and the Bike Path. Davis Square, our own neighborhood, is one of Boston's "hot spots". It's full of life. There are numerous coffee and ice cream shops, and restaurants of every kind. Theater, music, movies, lovely shops -from groceries to clothing, a fitness club, bowling, pool halls and a play ground are all within a few blocks.
You'll find a large open kitchen, dining room, and living room. The private master suite includes a bathroom with an extra-long soaking tub, a high-end Sealy king-size bed with a padded head-board, and a small desk. The suite's walk-in closet has a window, and it's so big that people often use it as a nursery. (We can provide a porta-crib). The beautiful and sunny main study is equipped with a desk and comfortable chair, as well as a day bed for reading or sleeping. The light-filled front bedroom is furnished with twin beds. These beds can be clamped together to form a king, and there's room for us to add a fold-away bed as well. There's also a second bathroom (shower/sink/toilet) and a full laundry. The balcony is a perfect place for up to five people to sit for morning coffee or a peaceful evening glass of wine.
(If this apartment isn't large enough please ask us about the annex -- available for an additional fee. It includes three additional rooms and a bathroom. One is set up with a queen-size bed. The second room, called the nook, has a full bed. The third room is a tiny chamber that can hold a single futon on the floor. All the bedrooms have access to a bathroom without passing through another bedroom.)
The apartment is served by central air conditioning with the exception of the study, which has a portable air conditioner, and the master dressing room.
The walls are a celebration of fine art, and if you love something you can buy it and take it home with you. There's a selection of mixed media works, photographs, etchings, lithographs, and fine watercolors. We rotate work from our collection, and it's all worth your attention.
We are happy to welcome children here, however we are not "child-proof", so you'll need to supervise them for their safety. We can provide amenities such as a porta-crib, high chair, dishes, stroller, toys and books. We aren't set up for the happy running, jumping and dancing of rambunctious play, but you'll find some great playgrounds just a few blocks away. To help you find them, there's a map in the apartment. We do charge for infants and children, no matter what age.
If you are intending to host a party here please discuss this with us before you book. We may -- or may not -- be able to accommodate your plans.
The well-equipped kitchen is suitable for light cooking. It is served by two under-counter refrigerator/freezers – plenty of space for regular grocery shopping, but not suitable for bulk shopping. There's a great grocery store right on the corner.
A cat lives in the other part of the house, but is not allowed in the apartment.
Driveway parking for one car is included. Additional parking can often be purchased. Please tell us what you need at least three weeks in advance.
We'll be happy to arrange for advance-purchase of a pre-paid phone if you don't have a working cell phone.
As noted above, the apartment is on the second floor. A few of the stairs are "pie" shaped. The rise is 7 3/4" per step.
Worth repeating: If you are planning to throw a party you'll need to discuss your plans with us first. We'll try to accommodate, however we do reserve the right to say no. Also, we do charge an additional cleaning fee.
Please note that, due to linen/laundry/pressing/set-up costs, there is a two night minimum on extra guest fees.
Vacation rentals such as this are legal in Somerville. Local law requires us to comply with the standard Vacation Rental Agreement. By reserving with us you are confirming that you accept this agreement. Please read it under HOUSE RULES.
No pets are permitted.
We can not rent to smokers.
You'll have all the comforts of home.
Interakcija s gostima
We assume that you've come here to feel like you are in your own home, so we'll be neighborly, but mostly we'll leave you alone. However be assured that we're here to take care of and offer help with anything that would make your stay easier or more comfortable.
I answer queries very quickly, so please do feel free to message me with questions before you request to book. That way we can be sure that you'll be comfortable here before your credit card is charged.
On reservations for more than six months away we require a three day minimum stay.
I often make a Honey Yogurt Bread for guests. It’s especially good when still warm from the oven, and I’ve been asked for the recipe a number of times, so -- here it is:
#134 Honey Yogurt Bread
(Bread Machine Recipe)
Add the following ingredients in the order listed:
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 1/4 cups fluffed flour
1 3/4 teaspoons yeast
Use the basic bread cycle with a medium crust setting
The "Richard Variation":
If you are using the fast cycle add 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. The bread will be a bit more dense, which is how my husband prefers it :)
Either way, let it cool for about ten minutes before you cut it. That’s the most difficult part....
Please let us know if you are hosting a party or event so that we can discuss the suitability of your plans. We like to help people celebrate here, but in some situations it will not be possible. Also, we do charge an additional cleaning fee.
The property -- inside, on the balcony, and in the yard -- is smoke free.
The rental unit is pet free.
It gives us great pleasure to host children, and the apartment is equipped with some toys and books as well as a pack-n-play, a stroller and a high-chair. The apartment is furnished, and finished, with good-quality residential furnishings. Our furnishings and finishes are not commercial grade, so play needs to be supervised. There's space in the apartment for quiet play, but when your children need to run, jump, dance and play ball, as most happy children do, it's good to know that there's a great playground just a five minute walk away. For rainy days there's a child-friendly bowling alley just a half-a-block from the house. We ask that people staying here have more adults than children in their group. We don't want to cramp your style, but we are saddened by nail-polish spills on the sheets, scratches on the floors, or crayon on the walls, and we do ask that everyone treat the place respectfully. Please don't let your young ones jump on the furniture, draw on the walls, swing from the doors, or (really!) hang each other from the towel hooks.
We also ask you to monitor the blind-cords, knife drawer, stairs etc. :)
We are often asked about how to tell if guests are making too much noise. It's a considerate question since this is a closely settled urban neighborhood. Our easy rule-of-thumb is this: if we/you can be heard from the street we need to tone it down.
Our AirBnB rental is legal here in Somerville so long we clearly inform you, and as long as you agree to the following rental agreement. This is the City's required agreement covering all "vacation rentals" which is how we are classified. We understand your booking to be confirmation that you do agree to the following terms:
SHORT TERM RENTAL AGREEMENT
1. The Landlord have the right to inspect the premises without prior notice at any time to enforce the terms of this agreement. Should the Tenants violate any of the terms of this agreement, the rental period shall be terminated immediately. The Tenants waive all rights to process if they fail to vacate the premises upon termination of the rental period. The Tenants shall vacate the premises at the expiration time and date of this agreement.
2. There is no land line. Emergency service can be called by dialing 911 from your cell phone. If you do not have a working cell phone we can arrange to purchase on for you in advance of your arrival.
3. The Tenants shall maintain the premises in a good, clean, and ready to rent condition, and use the premises only in a careful and lawful manner. The tenants shall leave the premises in a ready to rent condition at the expiration of the rental agreement, defined by the Landlord as being immediately habitable by the next tenants. Tenants shall pay for maintenance and repairs should the premises be left in a lesser condition. The tenants agree that the Landlord shall deduct costs of said services from the security deposit prior to refund if tenants cause damage to the premises or its furnishings.
4. The Tenants shall dispose of all waste material generated during the rental period in a lawful manner and put the trash in the bins along the side of the building during their stay for pickup. The garbage is picked up early morning on Tuesday except on holidays. Tenant is cautioned not to leave trash outside for long periods of time because it attracts animals.
5. The Tenants shall pay for any damage done to the premises over and above normal wear and tear.
6. No animals or pets of any kind will be brought onto the premises.
7. The Tenants shall not sublet the property.
8. The Tenants shall have no more than the agreed-upon number of persons reside or sleep on the premises.
9. The Tenants shall behave in a civilized manner and shall be good neighbors respecting the rights of the surrounding property owners. The Tenants shall not create noise or disturbances likely to disturb or annoy the surrounding property owners. Creating a disturbance of the above nature shall be grounds for immediate termination of this agreement and Tenants shall then immediately vacate the premises. Quiet hour starts at 10 PM and outdoor noise should be kept to a minimum.
10. There shall be no smoking inside the premises. Smoking is permitted outside the home.
12. Landlord shall provide towels, linens, cups, knives, forks, spoons, dishes, and other items as commonly used by the Landlord’s family as well as an initial supply of toilet paper, soap, dish detergent, laundry soap and paper towel. Shampoos, and other consumables are to be purchased by the Tenant. No reimbursement will be made for unused consumables left at the premises. If consumables exist at the premises when the Tenant arrives the Tenant is free to use them...
13. The Tenants and Tenants' Guests shall hereby indemnify and hold harmless the Landlord against any and all claims of personal injury or property damage or loss arising from use of the premises regardless of the nature of the accident, injury or loss. Tenants expressly recognize that any insurance for property damage or loss which the Landlord may maintain on the property does not cover the personal property of Tenants, and that Tenants should purchase their own insurance for Tenants and Guests if such coverage is desired.
14. Rental Deposit amount is partially refundable as described in the AirBnB agreement.
15. Tenants agree to pay all reasonable costs, attorney's fees and expenses that shall be made or incurred by Landlord enforcing this agreement.
16. Tenants expressly acknowledge and agree that this Agreement is for transient occupancy of the Property, and that Tenants do not intend to make the property a residence or household.
17. We occasionally experience outages that are beyond our control. We report outages as each occurs. No refunds or compensation will be given for any outages.
18. There shall be no refunds of rents due to shortened stays or ruined expectations because of weather conditions.
19. If the property should go on the MARKET FOR SALE, it may be shown to qualified buyers during the Tenants’ stay. Every effort will be made to schedule the showing at a convenient time and not interrupt the Tenant’s vacation. Tenant shall allow reasonable viewings of the home between 9 am and 8 PM present or not.
20. There shall be no refunds of rents because of shortened stays or ruined expectations due to work and family emergencies or other commitments.
21. It is the tenant’s responsibility to learn about all safety precautions, including those having to do with the stairs and balcony. Tenant agrees to have a responsible adult supervising minors while they are guests.
22. Only legally owned and permitted firearms shall be allowed on the premises according to State and local laws.
23. Tenant agrees that Fireworks and other hazardous materials shall not be used in or around the property.
24. Tenant shall use the property for legal purposes only and other use, such as but not limited to, illegal drug use, abuse of any person, harboring fugitives, etc. ; shall cause termination of this agreement with no refund of rents or deposits.
25. Tenant agrees not to access the “owner’s closets”, even if unlocked, which contain cleaning supplies and chemicals that could be hazardous to children and adults. The four "owners closets" are located on the stairs, the landing, the first floor little study and the master bedroom.
26. Tenant is advised that the property contains a gas grill, and will seek help from management if the proper operation of such items is not fully understood.
27. The property has a fire extinguisher installed near the kitchen area. The fire extinguisher was fully charged at last inspection. It is the duty of the tenant to inform management immediately should the fire extinguisher become less than fully charged. Tenant agrees to use the fire extinguisher only for true emergencies.
28. The property has fire alarms installed and they are believed to function properly at the time of rental. Tennant will notify management without delay if a fire alarm “chirps” or has a low battery condition.
29. Tennant is advised that there is one carbon monoxide detector on the property and accepts the risk involved in not having more than one.
30. Tenant shall see to their own security while in the property by locking doors, windows, car doors, etc. when it’s prudent to do so.
31. Valuable items left behind by tenant will be held for the tenant and every reasonable effort will be made to contact the tenant for return. If items are not claimed for longer than 2 months they shall become the property of the Landlord. The Landlord shall not be held liable for condition of said items.
32. Cable TV is provided and service level has been chosen by the Landlord. No refund of rents shall be given for outages, content, lack of content, or personal preferences with regard to cable TV service.
33. High speed wireless internet is provided as a convience only and is not integral to the agreement. No refund of rents shall be given for outages, content, lack of content, speed, access problems, lack of knowledge of use, or personal preferences with regard to internet service.
34. Tenant agrees that Air conditioning shall not be set below 70 degrees and heat shall not be set above 72, and that the fan setting shall be “Auto”. Doors and windows shall be closed when either heat or air conditioning is in operation.