With interior designs by a regular in Boston Magazine, Boston Globe Magazine, New England Real Estate Journal, HGTV and more, this 106-year-old cottage/cabin is exciting And comforting. Water views & 2-minute walk to the beach make more happily.
A cabin in the woods + a cottage at the beach + a cutting-edge art gallery = the happily factory. Just outside Boston (30-45 min), near Quincy Center, w/public transport access, free parking, 10 minutes' drive to the freeway. It feels like Boston & Cape Cod combined.
It’s a special treat - IF you like antiques, weird cool things, and see beauty in imperfection. But it's not for everyone - so please read on to see if it's right for you...
On the plus side:
- half block walk to the beach
- reading in the hammock on the porch watching birds & squirrels
- grilling steaks or boiling lobster to eat on the farm tables inside or out
- fans, shade, ocean breeze, gentle weather
- flat screen with Netflix & DVDs in the living room
- ping pong, toys, games, & art materials to play with, books to read
- self-serve coffee/tea & Light breakfast included your first night
- loaners like beach stuff, umbrella, sunglasses, stuff you maybe forgot
- cute furry wild animals in the yard who won't bother you (really!)
- naturally clean indoor air, avoiding chemicals
- It's exotic! Stay in the home of a real Bohemian!
- super safe neighborhood, quiet, peaceful
- witty, playful art like the best contemporary museum, in a range of media
- charming! unique! full of life!
- cheaper than a hotel!
On the minus side (for some folks):
- no AC, no TV
- the yard outside is a wild-life preserve, not a croquet court
- inside you may see a spider or something with wings (it's ok! it won't get you!)
- something is always not quite finished being renovated
- sound travels thru wood walls & ceilings more than thru modern ones
- some of that art is related to sex! or bodies! or (gasp) feminism!
- it's not a familiar perfect chain hotel or McMansion
- it's not the cheapest thing imaginable!
But what are the bedrooms like?
- 3 main, 'cute' bedrooms: 1st w/queen bed, 2nd w/twin, 3rd w/full: each w/memory foam-topped bed, mirror, desk, chair, hooks or closet, fan
- 1 less cute but not bad bedroom with two twin bunkbeds
And if we have 8-14 people?
- Living room: queen foldout sofabed + queen air mattress (that also folds up to a sofa for convenience)
- three floor pallettes can be placed up to one each in three of the bedrooms. two are foam mattress and one is feather bed
Full use! Living room (15' x 20'), dining room (seats 8+), big kitted-out-kitchen (microwave, dishwasher, pots/pans, etc). Huge wrap-around porch with multiple seating/dining alcoves & hammock. Full bath upstairs, 1/2 bath downstairs, washer/dryer.
Interakcija s gostima
We'll mostly do texting, then phone/web/app. I usually do a tour in person with you upon arrival, but if we can't arrange that, detailed notes will help you feel at-home.
1. Kids: art is within reach, it's not too fragile but active youngsters should be supervised. There's lots of toys and games kids get to play with too!
2. Dis/abilities: 1 full flight of Imperfect stairs outside, squirrels who like to throw walnuts on walk paths & such, & 1 full flight of wood stairs inside.
3. Upstairs balcony: off-limits currently.
4. Yard: not off-limits, but not conventionally landscaped.
5. LGBT friendly, welcoming all, regardless of race, language, nationality, etc.
6. Art: Some of our often playful, witty contemporary art references a bit of nudity & the existence of a concept called sex!
In 4 years I've had 100's of air bnb guests, including children and adults of every age - 98% of guests were content (often overjoyed) with the decor. There are over 100 works of contemporary art. Many are abstract paintings, but others are more unusual sculptures or imagery.
1. Pets: well behaved pets ok, w/negotiation. 10$/night/pet fee. No pets live here now. There is always a possibility another guest may be staying here with a pet (it's rare). if this is a problem please inquire before booking.
2. Smoking is allowed outside only; 1st floor porch is fine. 420 ok.
3. Information: I've got a ton of info about the house, neighborhood, & Boston public transport in manuals in the house. If it's not in there, i can answer more questions too.
4. Communication: I prefer texting: I don't check email every day, don't do voicemail much, and air bnb's app is unreliable for notifications.
5. Firearms: are not permitted in this home.
6. Off-limits /not included areas: Areas of the house and grounds that are not listed as amenities and are off limits to guests include the 2nd floor exterior balcony, the labeled storage room inside the 2nd floor, and the detached garage. Under no circumstances should these rooms or areas be entered for any reason as they may contain hazardous materials or conditions. In addition, the basement under the house is not a listed amenity and should not be entered unless needing to access a circuit breaker panel or other utility/emergency issues. Items stored in closets, under beds, in opaque boxes on shelves, etc, that seem packed away, not in plain sight nor easy reach, are also off-limits.
7. Fires and candles: We encourage you to avoid fires or candles as they are a top source of house fires and this is a wood-framed house. However, under continuous observation, small fires may be lit in the living room fireplace or outdoor fireplace/grill ONLY, and only one fire at a time only; and candles in plain sight & easy reach on outside porch may be lit. Keep candles away from pets, children, cloth, nearby décor objects or wood walls, etc.
8. Water and Sewer: DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper. No feminine pads or baby wipes should be flushed. In the upstairs toilet in particular, DO NOT FLUSH more than 10-15 square of paper per flush, to avoid an inconvenient clog.
9. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest. Guests may not exceed the occupancy limit agreed specified in the booking without additional permissions and fees.
Ovaj domaćin ima 157 recenzije za druge smještaje.Prikaži druge recenzije
I'm an artist living in a giant gallery & adult summer camp. I've got tons of cool stuff here you can look at & play with. And i've got tons of work fixing a 100-yr-old house, too, so something's always half-done. I was an interior designer for 14 years, and put the really bold stuff in my house.
I'm kind of a hippy, yet am driven - an entrepreneur who typically alternates a few months of 16-hour work days with a few weeks of rest. in my art organization, American Family Happily Institute, i collaborate with about 100 volunteers & interact with thousands of people each year. i am also an introvert and not often chatty at home. If i'm not chatty it has nothing to do with you; i respect all people.
I grew up in the the middle of america but know and love boston well now, and can share tips/cool stuff to do.
i speak a Little french, badly. My good friend, Jean-luc, is fluent in French, German, & Alsatian, and can be available to translate if necessary, either if he is visiting or via phone.