Welcome to Granville Hall! We're a new, boutique, dorm-style student residence in downtown Halifax for mature students. During the summer, our rooms can be enjoyed by students and non-students seeking affordable short-term stays in the centre of Halifax's education, dining and entertainment district.
Our high end facility is professionally managed, with daily house keeping and weekly linen service. Enjoy a superior living experience in the heart of downtown Halifax!
Granville Hall welcomes guests seeking accommodations for a minimum of 5 weeks.
Rooms are fully and tastefully furnished, with high speed internet and all utilities (heat, water, electricity) included. Kitchens fully stocked with appliances, dishes, cutlery and soap. We also offer optional meal plans and gym membership!
Interakcija s gostima
A live-in coordinator assists Granville Hall's guests with all their needs, provides information about nearby attractions and transportation options, and ensures a fun and respectful shared living environment.
- Tastefully furnished common lounge with big screen TV, free Netflix, games, books, etc.
- Three fully stocked kitchens with modern appliances, dishes, utensils and cutlery
- Secure storage room for items that don't fit in your bedroom.
- Three to four bathrooms on every floor.
- Coin-less laundry machines with online app and text message functionality to notify you when your laundry is ready.
- A historic, modernized building with tons of character. Wooden beams, red brick walls and high ceilings adorn many areas and bedrooms. A very New York Hell's Kitchen vibe!
- NOISE/SOUND - All residents observe “consideration hours” at all times in order for residents to enjoy a respectful shared-living atmosphere. Additionally, there are “quiet hours” observed during which residents are asked to contain noise to their rooms or the common lounge and to be mindful about their neighbours’ comfort. Quiet hours are from 10:00pm to 8:00am from Sunday night to Thursday night, and 1:00am to 8:00am on Fridays and Saturdays. If a resident or group of residents are being too noisy during quiet hours, the Residence Coordinator may ask the residents to be reduce the disturbance or go to the common lounge. If guests are present who are not residents of Granville Hall, the Residence Coordinator may ask them to leave the residence. High levels of bass from stereos or other equipment is prohibited at all times.
- ALCOHOL - Any conduct or behaviour related to alcohol or drugs that threatens the safety, comfort or well-being of oneself or others is prohibited. The legal drinking age is 19 years of age, and underage drinking is prohibited in Granville Hall and residents must abide by all Federal, Provincial legislation and policies.
- ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES - Granville Hall has a zero-tolerance policy towards illegal substances, drugs, marijuana, drug paraphernalia etc. Students who are caught with illegal substances may face eviction from the residence.
- LOST/STOLEN ITEMS - Granville Hall is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. Residents must exercise due diligence in securing their belongings, valuable items or large amounts of cash. All rooms are equipped with locks and residents should not leave their doors unlocked or rooms unattended if they have highly valuable items in the room. Our insurance does not cover any losses or damages that occur to residents' belongings for any reason. Residents may be able to obtain separate tenants' insurance from their bank, travel agent or other insurance providers to cover their belongings in the unlikely case of theft, fire, water damage, etc. If you're opening a Canadian student bank account, ask your bank for more information about tenant’s insurance upon your arrival in Halifax.
- HOUSEKEEPING - Your room will be cleaned once a week. On that day, our custodian staff will enter your room during the day, clean the room, empty your garbage, remove your sheets and pillow cases for washing and put on a clean set of sheets and pillow cases. Common areas, such as bathrooms, kitchens and lounges, are cleaned daily. Residents are encouraged to maintain clean and tidy common spaces and dispose of their own garbage to help our cleaning staff keep your living environment enjoyable for everyone.
- EMERGENCIES - If you encounter a fire, medical or criminal emergency - dial 911 first. Next, alert the Residence Coordinator or Residence Director at ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) OR ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN). If you encounter a fire, close any doors between you and the fire, pull the nearest fire alarm and evacuate the building following the fire evacuation procedures.
- RESIDENCE PROPERTY - Removing or moving Granville Hall furniture or other items from lounges, and rooms is not permitted. Outside furniture is not allowed in Granville Hall to minimize risks of pests.
- EVICTIONS - At the Residence Coordinators discretion, residence rule violations will result in written warnings. On the third written infraction, a resident may receive notice that their residence agreement has been cancelled and that they must evacuate the residence within 5 to 15 days, depending on the issue. A resident’s lease agreement may be terminated if rent is more than 15 days late. A 15-day notice of termination will be provided to the resident in this case. The decision to terminate a lease is at the discretion of the Residence Director For more serious infractions, such as violence towards another resident, harassment, causing deliberate property damage to the residence, or engaging in illegal activities, the Residence Director may issue notice to a resident without any initial written warnings.
- PROPERTY DAMAGE - The cost of fixing damages caused by the misuse of equipment or caused by deliberate intent will be charged to the responsible resident. In addition, the resident may receive a warning or be evicted from the residence, depending on the seriousness of the damage/incident.
- GUEST POLICY - You are welcome to have guests in your room and in the common areas; However, you must accompany your guests at all time to respect the other residents. Your guests are your responsibility, including any damages or disturbance they cause. Your guest must be over the age of majority in Nova Scotia (19) in order to be permitted in Granville Hall. You may have one overnight guest for up to a maximum of two nights at any one time. However, guests are visitors, and cannot use your room as a place of short or long term accommodations. Granville Hall's rooms are meant to accommodate only the one resident who leased the room. The Residence Coordinator has the right to request your guest(s) vacate the building if he/she is concerned for the safety or comfort of other residents.
- FIRE SAFETY - Behaviour which endangers the safety of others (ie. Altering a smoke detector, not evacuating during a fire alarm) is prohibited. All residents and guests are required to evacuate the building at the time of a fire alarm. The use or possession of explosive or flammable material is not permitted in Granville Hall (ie. fireworks and propane/gasoline tanks). Discharging, tampering with or operating any fire prevention or detection equipment for any purpose other than the control of fire is strictly prohibited. Such equipment includes fire extinguishers, pull stations, alarms and smoke and heat detectors. Tampering with fire safety equipment will typically result in a $500 fine and/ or eviction. Any negligent or intentional fires started by any person can lead to a resident’s immediate eviction.
- HARASSMENT - Any unwelcome, unwanted, offensive or intimidating attention or conduct (oral, written, virtual, or physical) by an individual/group is prohibited in Granville Hall. This includes, but is not limited to, bullying, hazing, or racial slurs.
- GRAPHIC MATERIAL - Displaying pornographic or graphic material in public or common areas is prohibited.
- DISCRIMINATION - Conduct that results in hostile treatment of an individual or group based on race, gender, origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, ability or other human right protected grounds, is unacceptable in Granville Hall.