Our home is exactly that because of the warmth that friends and families have brought to it. We're just extra lucky that we get to have this feeling of home with so much space, and peace, in a fun and well-connected part of Berlin.
We get the best of both quiet and lively worlds where we are settled in Schoeneberg, the neighborhood where revolutionaries Einstein, David Bowie, and Marlene Dietrich called home. Ours is an LGBTQI haven.
My girlfriend and I would like our guests to understand that this is not a hotel, but our home. It's better than a hotel! But it is because everyone does their part to keep it as clean or cleaner than they've found it.
Post office across the street. Economy supermarkets as well as gourmet, organic, and Asian markets on our block. Havana Salsa Club, Schoeneberg's public swimming pool, library, Odeon Kino, and Xenon Cinema in the vicinity.
- Quiet hours in Germany are standardized from 13:00--15:00 as well as from 22:00--6:00. Piano playing is welcomed in the afternoons, with clean hands, please!
- Also typical of a Berlin household: We leave our street shoes by the door, and we recycle! At the moment, we recycle paper, plastic, glass, and "other". We have yet to purchase a compost bin.
- You may use the washing machine once we've shown you how to operate it. Of course, if there is anything that seems awry or strange, please let us know immediately so that your stay is as comfortable as possible and so that the appliances we have to use can work for years to come.
- You may cook with the kitchen door closed. After you're finished with the kitchen, please ventilate it by opening the window for 10 minutes. There is no window in our bathroom, so we leave the door open after use.
- Turn off lights and close windows before you leave the apartment.
- Lock the front door whenever you leave or arrive, even if people are home. (That way, no one will forget to lock the door because it will be second nature.)
- Wipe down the floor in the bathroom, remove hair from tub and sink, clean a soiled toilet bowl, and please sit down when you urinate. I know, all this seems self-explanatory...
- Please leave the bathroom door open when not in use.