I have to say I was kind of shocked when I read Jenafer's review. We had several nice conversations and while some of the things she wanted were not possible to provide, I made sure she got almost all she requested, within reason. I'm sorry to see things here that she never mentioned to me, and she was not the kind of quiet person that doesn't ask for things!
My first reaction, and I invite you to think too: Why did she stay for 3 months if it was as bad as she describes it?
When reading what she is complaining about, please keep in mind this is an only $25 per night room in a high scale, beautiful neighborhood, with free high Speed WiFi, free parking, free Washer and Dryer use, free Air conditioning, free Cable TV, free cold or hot filtered drinking water, and the extra accessibility to use the Fridge, the freezer, and the kitchen.
Bottom line: We provide the best accommodations with the most included services you can get in the Washington DC Metropolitan area for an easy going and or low budget traveler.
If you are very particular and want very specific services, please let me know in advance. I will tell you straight if we can provide them or if you better find them at another location.
Simple. No worries!
If you'd like to read about specific inaccuracies of her review, please read on.
She knew as it is clearly described, that the house was and still is in the process of being upgraded in many areas, little by little. By no means it's perfect, but by and large it is in good condition.
As per the specific issues she complains about:
You can read multiple reviews about how quiet the house is. Jenafer seems to be very particular and, for what I read on her review, she is not a straight communicator.
The room that she requested, not that I offered her, is located behind the kitchen. Almost anywhere you live, any room that shares a wall with the kitchen will have kitchen noises: water, microwave, stove, toaster.
She did not like a high quality Airbed with adjustable firmness because she was afraid her dog would puncture it. I offered her the only other available room at the time, away from the kitchen. The room is smaller, but has a lot of storage space.
- The bed being too hard: never heard about it from her and no one else has ever complained about it.
- Owner belongings on every single shelf, drawer or cabinet: First, she never asked for a drawer or cabinet to be freed for her. It would have been easy. Second, it's not true. There is a wall to wall 12 feet long, 28 inches deep, top of the cabinets, real wood counter-top height, completely free.
She asked me for space to "hang a few dresses or a jacket". On the spot, I suggested she could use the coat closet, which is right outside to room. She never mentioned she wanted it to be exclusively for her!
- The room has a double bed, same as two other rooms in the house. There are other sets of linens that were bra-new. She never mentioned a problem with the ones she had. It's really annoying to read she "had to purchase her own" when she did not mention that issue at all. I wish she had only used the ones she says she bought!
- She requested to be allowed to bring her dog with her, even though the house rules clearly state there are no pets allowed. I agreed to her request because she promised the dog would be quiet and we would not notice him. He was indeed quiet, but boy I noticed him when I went to see the room after she left! Hair everywhere! The sheets, pillow cases and mattress cover are unusable as I have washed them multiple times and still there's a lot of short black hairs all over. It took more than double the time to clean the room, which looked like she did not clean it while using it for 3 months.
- She never mentioned any odor nor migraines. And I have been in the room many times. There's no such an odor.
- About the Ovens not working: Yes, she mentioned that. I told her I would see if there was something I could do to fix them. It was too expensive and not a priority for most guests. She was never promised an oven nor a gourmet kitchen nor enough fridge or freezer space for her to store weeks worth of prepared food. Where could you get that for $25 per night??
- She was not forced to do anything. She decided to buy a small fridge for her exclusive use, plus she continued using the common fridge. Worth pointing out that she did not ask for permission to plug in that extra fridge and she was not charged extra for the large amount of energy a fridge uses.
- The water heater problem: Big exaggeration! The water heater broke. It was an emergency situation. However, it happened right after the house underwent a deep cleaning over a 5 day span, which happened after she got in. It took less than 2 days for us to replace it with a new one and to be fully functional.
Again, bottom line is: we provide the best accommodations with the most included services you can get in the Washington DC Metropolitan area for your money. If you are very particular and want very specific services, please let us know in advance. I will tell you if we can provide them or if you better find them at another location.