I honestly don't know where to begin. I'll do my best to first address some of the key questions I had when planning my trip.
1. The taxi from the airport to the property is about 25CUC they will say 35CUC but bargain with them. We took a screenshot of the address and the property was easy to find.
2. There is a private bathroom( sink, shower, toilet, mirror) within the room that is stocked with towels, toilet paper.
3. You will get your own key to the room.
4. The property is awesomely close to the capital. We walked to most places which helped us cut down on costs.
5. The property is easily accessible to main attractions and more importantly the beach ☺️.
6. The room is air conditioned!
7. There is a mini fridge in the room. The fridge was stocked with local beer and water for the same price as stores. No inflation.
8. There was reliable hot and cold water everyday. The shower head was detachable and water pressure was great.
9. The space is clean and well maintained.
10. Our hosts speak English, French, Italian and Spanish very well. You won't struggle with a language barrier. Despite the clear communication, I was empowered to try out my Spanish and learn new phrases from the family.
11. Havana is safe. We intentionally got lost both day and night and not once did we feel threatened.
12. Depending on the room you receive, there are 2 queen size beds.
Ok now to the interpersonal and experiential review. My boyfriend and I traveled to Havana for my birthday. Paola (Pedro's mother) and Ariel (Pedro's brother) were amazing hosts. Hospitality is truly in their heart and blood. Their kindness and accommodating ways made the experience. As the client you are able to control how much you interact with the host family. There is more than enough respect to do your own thing if that's your choice.
We chose to engage and felt as though we were visiting family in Cuba. We enjoyed breakfast every morning for a very convenient fee. Breakfast was DELICIOUS! Portions were more than enough. I highly recommend using the breakfast option. No need to waste time and money going anywhere else. We received great advice and recommendations from the family.
We will be returning to Cuba and we will be staying with this family again!! In a heartbeat, we would invite this family to our wedding and any other special event where you would traditionally invite family.
This was easily one of the BEST travel experiences of my life. (To provide context, I've been to dozens of US states, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, London, Argentina, Hong Kong, Thailand, Ireland, Canada, Puerto Rico, Antigua and Barbuda, Trinidad and Tobago, the Virgin islands etc.) I know what I'm talking about.