Welcome to the great outdoors! Our (narrow-wheelchair friendly) home is a cozy, sweet, creative mountainside home, overlooking the lake. The whole of the first floor and the awesome outside are available to you! Enjoy swimming/canoing campfire circle, moss-laden paths, a cascading waterfall and easy hikes. Down the mountain is the Rapidan Wildlife Refuge, and our land abuts peaceful Shenandoah National Park.
Scroll through the photos, then come play!
- Dogs are generally welcome only outside; we have a HUGE fenced wooded area for dogs, with a heated water bowl. If you hope to bring an inside pet, it must be "mat trained" and will require a $250 deposit, with $50 of that deposit not refundable.
- Using the wood stove is fun, but of course there are safety concerns. Please don't burn our house down! Never leave any combustible items on or within two feet of the wood stove. Use the ceiling fans when the stove is on, to move the air throughout the house. Bring wood in each day to dry so it will be ready for the stove, you do not want to use wet wood. You will be required to buy wood for the stove. When opening a hot wood-heat stove, gently open the wood-stove door just an inch or so, leave for about a minute and then open the door fully. In the morning, do this and leave it for about five minutes to see if the fire catches. Then you just need to add wood.
- This is a mountain lake. Of course water is a very real danger. Children must be supervised at ALL times; of course, you are responsible for your family. You may use the canoe, but only with life jackets.
- No smoking of any kind is allowed, anywhere.
- You are welcome to use the games, books, movies, etc. Also, feel free to use condiments and such in the kitchen! If you feel you've used "too much," of any particular item, let me know and it'd be nice if you leave enough money to replace it. If you break something, please let me know. Have fun! Give us a call if you have questions.
- The screened in porch loft is a delightful space for hanging out or sleeping, but is only available for those over age twelve. Use assumes adult supervision and is at your own risk (it is $12 per week extra, per bed, for the screened in porch loft use, but just playing up there is free).
We are pretty easy. I'm just one little person, trying to make the world a bit sweeter. Hosting seems the natural thing to do. My husband and I enjoy meeting new people, and will open our hearts as well as our home to you.
There is so much to do, and you are welcome in the living spaces in your "down time."
At this point in life, I'm working on a campaign to help a little eight y.o. South Sudanese amputee. I met him while I was volunteering as an English teacher in his war-torn African country.
Most of my days, for now, are focused on caring for my kind husband Sebastian, as he struggles with a grave illness. Still, I find joy.
Hmmmm, a life motto? Maybe one would be "Love your enemies, it really gets them confused."