Our stay was very disappointing. For the past three years, my family and I have stayed at this house on Lake Wawasee, and we've always had a good experience. But this year was different.
When we arrived around check-in time (4 p.m.), there was a soaking wet towel on the kitchen floor with a short note from the house manager saying the dishwasher was leaking. She confirmed that someone would arrive by 5:30 p.m. to fix it. We waited around until 8:30 p.m. and no one showed up and the house manager didn't check-in to confirm if the repair had been made. When I let her know that the repairman hadn't shown up, she responded the next morning and said someone should be around sometime in the afternoon (no exact ETA) to fix the issue, which was alarming considering we were on vacation and therefore would have to waste even more time waiting around for someone to fix the issue. I expected her to have a sense of urgency to fix the issue, but that wasn't the case. Several hours and two repairmen later (both of whom were very nice and professional), the issue was resolved.
However, on top of that:
- the internet didn't work the whole stay
- a section of the lights were out in the living room
- the garbage disposal wasn't working
- the water heater was broken, which we learned the hard way after a very surprising cold shower, and come to find out, the heating elements in the water heater were completely burnt out
- there was furniture and household appliances jammed in the garage that we had to move ourselves in order to fit our cars in
- some of the bedsheets were stained
- one of the TVs didn't work.
This was supposed to be a week of relaxation at the lake, but we ended up spending several of our first days there helping them sort out these issues. The house manager informed me that we were the first guests of the season, which to me actually means that these issues *could* and *should* have been resolved prior to us arriving.
Additionally, we rented the house for a second week for family friends, and they arrived to our dirty bedsheets and towels wadded up in the laundry room (despite the cleaning fee we paid) and a smelly, rancid round two with the broken dishwasher.
I contacted the homeowner several times throughout the stay and he's had plenty of chances to make it right (including me calling him after the trip, walking him through all of the issues, and giving him the opportunity to make it right), but he did not. If they would have taken the time to inspect the house prior to kicking off the season, I'm confident these issues would have been resolved. Now, sadly, we won't be coming back next year.