Wild Atlantic House is situated on the spectacular Dingle Peninsula. It has good sea & mountain views. Traditional open fireplaces, a modern kitchen, 4 new bathrooms and comfortable beds. There are 5 beaches, within 15 minutes drive away. The house is suitable for a digital detox, for those who love nature and the outdoor life. It is suitable for couples & for families (with children over the age of 5). Nearby pubs in Brandon and Cloghane provide welcoming meals & drinks. Off road car parking.
Wild Atlantic House sleeps 8 people. The house is our much beloved family holiday house and is still frequently used by our extended family and by our friends, who keep returning to it. We have used it continually, since the early 1960s for our holidays.
OLD FASHIONED TRADITIONAL FARMHOUSE: It is an old farmhouse, with some antique style furniture. The house is a good example of the best of the old, blended with the best of the modern world. It has lots of living space. While the kitchen and bathrooms are new, the house still retains many of its nineteenth century features, including the original 1890s staircase and beams. we love the house because of its traditional ambience and because it is the perfect spot for an old fashioned "bucket & spade" beach holiday, while having much more to offer.
BEDROOMS AND BATHROOMS: There are 5 bedrooms: 2 twin rooms with sea and mountain views, 2 double rooms (queen sized beds) with views across the adjoining hilly pastures, and a single bedroom with a view of the sea and mountains. All beds have comfortable mattresses, a duvet and 2 pillows per person. There are 3 bathrooms upstairs, 2 with showers and one with a cast iron bath. There is a spacious wet room, downstairs, with a shower. All the bathrooms are a generous size and all have windows.
ESCAPE: Wild Atlantic House is a discrete retreat for couples, who wish to escape the pressures of city life, to enjoy the romantic cosy parlour, the old fashioned ambience, open fires and candle lit meals in the dining hall.
DIGITAL DETOX: There is no TV, DVD player or WIFI. This is appreciated by most of our guests. There is free WiFi in the local pubs. 3G mobile phone reception is available. There is a radio, tape/CD and a gramophone/record player with a selection of records, CDs and tapes.
CHIMNEY WALL STAINS: Despite our best efforts and constant repainting, stains from 125 years of soot on the inside of the west gable, keep re-appearing. if this is likely to bother you, this is not the house for you.
BARBECUE: There is a large steel fire pit with tripod, on which you may barbecue (use natural timber logs only) and a smaller one for burning charcoal. Try barbecuing locally reared, mountain lamb - wonderful flavour, once eaten never forgotten! Or freshly caught mackerel from Brandon Bay.
BARN: The stone barn is attached to the house and it provides a large area of storage space for kayaks, canoes, fishing rods, surf boards, diving equipment, bicycles etc. The barn contains childrens' buckets and spades, beach balls, body boards, shrimping nets and more for your use.
GARDEN: There is a garden to the front and to the rear of house. The garden furniture provides seating & table for 12 people to enjoy a meal outside and there are other garden chairs, as well as a small circular garden table. For railways enthusiasts, there are two railway lines in the garden, which once formed part of the Tralee and Dingle Light Railway, that closed down in 1953.
PARKING: There is plenty of off road private parking for at least 4 cars, in front of the stone barn.
Guests have the use of the entire house, barn and garden all to themselves. It is a discrete and private property, but not isolated.
Interakcija s gostima
We prefer to leave guests alone to enjoy their holidays. We are always available by telephone or email, if you wish to make contact with us. Our caretaker is most helpful and lives very close to Wild Atlantic House. He is a busy farmer, but he is usually readily available to help out with any emergencies that might arise.
CHARACTER: The house is old and has character, which means that some things like the 1890s staircase are quirky and have low headroom. As it is an old house, with many of its original characteristics, it may not be suitable for people who suffer from allergies. It is not wheelchair friendly and is not suitable for those with mobility problems. It is suitable for older children, but not for those under the age of five.
HEATING: There is some effective electric heating and there are 2 fireplaces downstairs that you may use, but this is not the house for you, if you require a constantly hot house, as the old part of the house still has its old wooden sash windows and old doors, which are not draught proof. However, it is still suitable for a romantic winter weekend, with its open log fires. Hot water bottles are provided, along with lots of extra blankets. Do not light fires upstairs, please.
BOARD GAMES, CARDS, JIGSAWS, GRAMOPHONE/RECORD PLAYER AND BOOKS: The house has a good selection of popular board games, jigsaws, playing cards, water-colour paints, coloured crayons and books suitable for all ages to enjoy. There is a gramophone/record player (plays 78s, 45s and 33s), a tape/CD player and a radio.
ON ARRIVAL: The beds will not be made up. We respectfully ask that you leave your used linen and towels into the laundry in nearby Castlegregory, this gesture is always greatly appreciated by us. If you wish for the beds to be made up on your arrival, please contact us well in advance (there will be an extra charge depending on the number of people staying). If you would prefer to leave your linen etc in the house on your departure, please leave €10 per person with it.
CLEANING: We have someone who very kindly will help to clean the house after you leave, but we still ask that you would leave the house clean and tidy on your departure, wash all dirty dishes and leave it completely free of all dog hair.
ESSENTIALS: The house comes fully supplied with a well equipped kitchen with microwave, toaster, dishwasher, fridge/freezer etc. The house has tea, coffee, sugar, cooking oil and some other basic foodstuffs in the kitchen for your use. A hair dryer, iron, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, shampoo, soap, first aid kit, smoke detectors and house manual containing safety instructions are all supplied. The utility room has a clothes washing machine, clothes dryer and there are clothes’ lines, both inside the barn and outside.
- CHILDREN: Over the age of 5 are welcome.
- FIRE PIT: Real timber logs only, to be used in the large steel fire pit, or it may crack.
- TURF FIRE: There will be plenty of logs and/or turf briquettes for your first night. It is greatly appreciated if you leave enough turf and logs for the following guests' first night.
- UPSTAIRS: No fires to be lit in the upstairs fireplaces.
- RUBBISH: We appreciate it if our guests dispose of their rubbish at the local community centre collection point, it is only a 10 minute round trip from the house. We also ask that guests are kind enough to leave clean rubbish bags out for the next guests.
- LINEN & TOWELS: If you are Irish, it is probably easiest to bring your own towels and bedlinen. You are welcome to use the towels and linen (always clean and neatly folded, but not necessarily always ironed) in the house, provided you are prepared to kindly drop them into the laundry in Castlegregory, on your way home (a 10 minute diversion). If you are travelling from abroad, the latter option may suit you better. The beds are supplied with good quality mattresses, duvets and 2 pillows per person. Please contact us, well in advance, in order for us to make arrangements that will suit you best. Alternative arrangements may be made, by special request.
- DOGS: Well-behaved dogs and pets are welcome. We prefer that you do not allow them upstairs. Please bring dog/pet coverings for their beds with you. Wild Atlantic House is in sheep country, so please keep your dog under proper control, when outside. The local farmers do not like seeing dogs walked on the hills, even when on a lead. When the tide is out, there are miles of empty beaches, where you can happily walk your dog. Please understand that some of our cleaners and guests do not tolerate dog hair, so please ensure that all traces of your animal’s hair are removed on your departure. There is a good quality vacuum cleaner, available for your use.
- UNSUITABLE: The house is unsuitable for those who require a high level of heating and for those with limited mobility.
- HAZARDS: There are many hazards associated with an old house like Wild Atlantic House, splinters in floor boards, uneven paths, uneven stairs, low doorways, low windows and more, so care is advised. Further details are available in guests' manual in the house or on request.
-ENJOY: we love our frequent holidays in this old house and really hope that you will as well.
A compulsive traveller, I enjoy walking, cycling and riding holidays. I especially enjoy body boarding in the surf, on Fermoyle Beach, County Kerry, at all times of the year.
I am as happy travelling on foot with a backpack using public transport, as I am travelling first class (which rarely happens!). Love eating good quality locally produced food and drink.
Respectful of other people's property, as I manage our family's Wild Atlantic House, in the west of Ireland and know how good it is when visitors enjoy, appreciate it and treat it with the same care and respect, as we do.
Our family have been continuously holidaying in the house near Cloghane, Co. Kerry since the 1960s. It is a very special place that is loved by the whole extended family.