Experience the serenity of a remote wilderness camp without the fuss, inconvenience, or distance! Loghome-style 'A-Frame' with wrap-around deck sits atop a cliff with stunning views of Sprague River, forested hills, & Mt. Scott (Crater Lake). The 11 acre property is surrounded by national forest, no neighbors in sight. Includes free use of private river beach below with kayaks & other toys. A short hike away is the ancestral native village site of the Klamath Tribe & their sweat lodge.
UPDATES SINCE DEC 2016:
-Home phone and FREE unlimited WIFI now at the house
-Road will be much improved from now on due to purchase of tractor with plow and grater
-We now have 3 kayaks free to use
This is an aging well-worn home and in the short time we lived here year-round it was comfortably lived-in by kids and pets. The structure and furnishings are dated and rustic (as in rough & basic) with no cutting-edge appliances or coordinated décor scheme. It's a work-in-progress, by no means pristine, modernized, or stylish. BUT the good news is that this means you don’t have to be hyper vigilant about your own kids and pets - a new scratch or small stain somewhere will probably go unnoticed. But please just try to be as respectful and cleanly as can reasonably be expected.
Open-floor plan with fireplace, loft, skylights, & bare wood paneling throughout most of house. Kitchen has a bar with stools separating it from the main living area. There is also a 6-chair indoor dining table. We have 4 sources of heat, a ceiling fan, & 2 swamp coolers (evaporative coolers). One bedroom is a large loft with privacy, but no door.
• The entire house, property and surrounding national forest will be yours to use.
• We also have a home gym weight machine (like new), key board, piano, board games, videos, & toys for kids.
• The following activities are available on the property (but all guests will be asked to consent to a WAIVER to release us of liability before entering the property):
-Kayaking or tubing (three kayaks, some life jackets, and a few tubes are provided)
-Wildlife viewing (in addition to typical birds and forest rodents you may also see: deer, elk, otters, beavers, raccoons, foxes, skunks, bobcats, eagles, hawks, owls, vultures, hummingbirds, quails, Canadian geese, egrets, herons, pelicans, bats and that we know of but have yet to see: badgers, coyotes, wolves, black bear and mountain lions)
-Rock climbing (if you bring your own gear, we got the perfect cliffs)
-Mountain biking or 4-wheeling (if you bring your own)
-Fishing or crawdad catching (a few fishing poles are provided, but without tackle gear)
-Swimming (most of the river is relatively warm, slow, and less than 3 feet deep – safe for small children, but there are a couple deeper spots around the bends on each side of our beach)
-Sledding (two sleds and inner tubes provided)
-Swinging on child’s swing or in 3 hammocks
-Propane grill, picnic table, and outside campfire stove on the deck
-Charcoal grill, picnic table, and fire pit down at private river beach
-Camping (if you bring a tent, we have 2 queen air mattresses that can be used). More than 7 guests are allowed, but it is $15/guest (aged 10 & above) after the first 4, and everyone entering property will be asked to sign a release waiver.
Interakcija s gostima
We live out of state most of the year (which coincides with when the house is available), but we'll be in close communication. Also we have a caretaker, Kenny, who will be available should you need anything. Our only neighbors (down the hill, out of sight) Chuck & Patty, are also very willing to help with most anything. These phone numbers will be in the house manual.
• Because the house is unoccupied between guests, there is a lot of wildlife around, & some guests stay a night while others stay weeks we do NOT reliably keep the house stocked with FOOD. You are welcome to whatever provisions may be there, but the safest bet is to stop at a grocery store on your way in (such as in Klamath Falls, Medford, Roseburg or Bend). Chiloquin does have 2 small grocery stores, but their selection is quite limited.
• Verizon, US Cellular, and Sprint CELL PHONE networks work at the house, but others are unreliable. We have also recently added a landline and free wifi.
• We believe we have fixed this problem, but it's been known to reoccur, so just in case: a few times (but only in summer) we have had 1-2 BATS somehow getting inside the house. But they don’t bother anyone and will usually go to sleep if you turn the lights on. We have a couple butterfly nets if you feel the need to try to catch one, or you could call our caretaker to help.
• Chiloquin, Oregon gets 14 inches of rain per year. The US average is 37. It gets 38 inches of snowfall. The US average is 25 inches. On average, there are 218 sunny days and 86 days with any measurable precipitation. The July high is around 85 degrees. The January low is 21. Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 73 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. The US average on the comfort index is 44.
BY MAKING A BOOKING, GUEST AFFIRMS THAT HE/SHE HAS READ THE ENTIRE LISTING AND ACKNOWLEDGES EACH OF THE FOLLOWING:
Please see "The Space" section under "Description." Rustic means rough, basic, worn, & dated.
LONG BUMPY DIRT ROAD -
Please see "Getting Around" section under "Description." Secluded location means road is PITCH DARK at night.
There is NO CHARGE for pets that are house-trained, don't mark their territory inside the house, and don't scratch/chew things up are allowed (they can even be up on furniture as long as they're not dirty).
Nondestructive children likewise are warmly welcomed and will enjoy it here, but toddlers must be watched carefully because we do have a loft, high deck, cliff, fire pits, and wildlife. CHILDREN UNDER 10 years old can stay for FREE, but Airbnb cannot automatically calculate this, so when booking only indicate the number of guests over 10 years old (but just include the children's names on your waiver).
Please don't smoke inside the house or litter outside with cigarette butts.
This is a relatively secluded location so indoor or outdoor parties with moderate noise are not a problem, but please no raucous party-till-dawn bashes. MORE THAN 7 guests ARE ALLOWED, but it is $15/guest (aged 10 and older) after the first 4 paying guests.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY WAIVER -
We offer many free activities (like kayaking, inner tubing, sledding, fishing) and we have fire pits, a river, and a cliff. So all guests will be asked to consent to a release waiver before entering the property due to the inherent dangers.
Hi! I'm a Kindergarten teacher and I met my Thai husband in the Peace Corps 20 years ago. We have 2 biological daughters and a son we adopted while living in Uganda. We're very adventurous and have lived all over, but we finally settled down in my home state of Oregon. We bought this property (which was in need of a lot of TLC) & fell in love with it. But just as we started fixing it up, circumstances changed. So now we're back in Alaska for my job, but we return here twice a year. Since the property is such a perfect vacation spot and we found the perfect caretaker, we decided to put it on Airbnb.